Thursday 29 May 2014

Gluten free banana & walnut muffins



The beginning of winter saw me craving cooked cakes. Maybe after having so many raw desserts for so long, I finally wanted the soft, spongy texture of fluffy cooked cake. I wanted a good vegan cake but they can be so hard to find.
Then I found myself in Lismore after a day at the Protestor/Protector’s camp at Bentley against Coal Seam gas-fields and went looking for vegan cake! In at Goanna Bakery (Lismore) I found some divine
cakes. I bought all 3 gluten free vegan cakes available and of course shared them with Caspar. Finally got that cake fix! The cakes were so lovely, I was inspired to go home and cook the perfect gluten free, vegan cake.
 I think these are fool proof. Just be sure to get a good quality gluten free flour and you can’t go wrong.

Makes 16 small muffins
1 ½ cups almond meal (approximately 1 cup of whole almonds, ground into fine almond meal)
1 ½ cups gluten-free flour (get a quality one from the health food shop)
½ cup desiccated coconut
2 tbs aluminium free baking powder
1 cup coconut sugar
2-3 medium banana’s, chopped
½ tsp nutmeg powder
100ml macadamia or almond oil
300ml – ½ water and ½ soya milk

* ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped

Mix dry ingredients together.

Then add the wet ingredients (except banana’s) and gently beat until combined.

Add the banana (& walnuts) and hand mix them through the batter.

Line a muffin tray with paper pattie pans. Spoon mixture into pattie pans and ¾ fill them.

Garnish with chopped nuts, shredded coconut or seeds if you wish.

Place in an oven at 180C for 10-15 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack and eat!


1 comment: